Skip to Content

COVID-19 update - We are still here for you, but just take a sec to think if you really need to drive today. If you need to chat to us - Here is how

Paper cut outs of cars
Car Sharing

What is Temporary Car Insurance?

There are loads of options for temporary car insurance out there so picking the right one can be tricky. Find type of short term cover is right for you here.

by Louise Thomas

Temporary or short term car insurance usually lasts between one and 28 days. This is a much shorter duration of cover than with a regular 12 month policy. Most insurers will allow you to add temporary drivers or vehicles to your existing policy if you give them a ring.  However, you’ll usually have to pay admin fees and there may be restrictions.

There are a wide variety of options for temporary cover online which are quick and easy to purchase. The cover might be shorter but figuring out which temporary insurance is right for you can be just as confusing as deciding which annual policy you need. Read the guide below to help decide which type of cover you need.

I need to drive my new car home

When you purchase a new car you need to have insurance in place to allow you to drive it home. This can sometimes be a hassle, especially if you haven’t sold your old car or switched over the insurance. Drive away insurance can usually be arranged by the dealership and lasts between 1 and 7 days.  This allows you plenty of time to get your new car home and search for the best insurance deal.

I want to borrow a friend or family member’s car

You can now borrow a friend or family member’s car using Veygo’s Car Sharing Insurance. We offer fully comprehensive cover from one hour to 30 days. Car Sharing Insurance is available to GB licence holders from the age of 17, even if you have just passed your test!

Whether you are home from uni for the holidays and don’t want to rely on mum and dad for lifts, or need to borrow a friend’s car from time to time this could be the best option for you. Borrowing a car from a family member or friend is a lot less hassle. It’s also often less expensive than renting a car or buying other temporary cover online.

What’s more, the driver as their own policy so if they make a claim, the owner’s insurance and No Claims Bonus is protected!

I’m learning to drive

If you’re learning to drive, Learner Driver Insurance from Veygo can cover you in mum or dad’s (or any friend or family member) car from two hours to 90 days.

The cover is available online for UK provisional licence holders starting from just £1.56 per day. That’s just £140.02 for 90 days! The cover works alongside the owner’s main insurance so if you do need t make a claim while learning, it won’t affect your parents’ No Claims Bonus.

I want to test drive a car

Purchasing a new car is a big investment so it’s important to take a test drive before handing over the cash. Like when driving any vehicle, you must make sure you have the correct insurance in place before taking it for a spin. If you’re buying from a dealership they should have cover in place, however if you want to test drive a car being sold privately, you’ll have to sort out insurance yourself.

Your existing insurance policy may cover you to drive other cars (DOC) so double check your insurance documents. If you do not have the DOC extension on your policy you can purchase 1 day cover online to allow you to test drive a private vehicle.

Louise Thomas

Hi I'm Louise and I'm a Marketing Executive at Veygo. I've been driving for nearly two years after several "practice" tests! I love the freedom that comes with finally having a driving licence. Road trips with my friends are the best - especially when we've got an awesome playlist going! (check out our Spotify for road trip playlists!)

Back to top