Skip to Content

NEW! Flexible monthly cover. Find out more

temporary van insurance
Simon Jones white clock learner driver8 minute read Car Sharing

Temporary van insurance | Cover from 1 day

What is temporary van insurance? Temporary van insurance is a simple solution to using a van for a limited period of time. As not everyone drives a van or has immediate access to one, a lot of people may need to hire…

Simon Jones

What is temporary van insurance?

Temporary van insurance is a simple solution to using a van for a limited period of time. As not everyone drives a van or has immediate access to one, a lot of people may need to hire one, or borrow one from a friend. This will then lead to needing insurance in case anything goes wrong. So temporary can mean several things, an hour, a day, a week, or even a month, and even short term! The list can go on. So the idea of getting temporary van insurance will be to save cost on getting a full policy (while being fully comprehensive) and needing to cancel at the end, it’s really there for your convenience.

When would you need temporary van insurance?

Moving/Removing furniture – Everyone knows the fuss and the hassle it is to move furniture, and how much more effort it can become when you don’t have the most convenient means to transport it around. However, the experience can be made much better by having the suitable transport for moving it, like having your own van.. So, whichever way you’ve obtained the van you’re going to need some cover for it, and that’s exactly why we provide van insurance cover for as little as an hour so no matter how long you’ll be using the van, you’re covered.

Sports – Some sports do require larger equipment, surfboards, mountain bikes, skis, snowboards, and even fishing. Typically these kinds of sports are generally held as events and aren’t usually local and will require some travel, this can mean a few hours or even a few days, so you shouldn’t miss out just because getting insurance on your van was an issue!

Building – You may not be the usual designated van driver and are having to take over for a certain amount of time, or perhaps you’re doing something to your home, like renovating a room or the entire house.. Whatever reason it may be that you’re building or constructing, you’re going to need that van insurance and that is where we can offer you it for the time that suits you best.

Borrowing – This covers all of the above plus more! When borrowing a van in the UK you’re going to need insurance to avoid any complications, so whatever your needs are, make sure you’re insured!

Why sign up for temporary van insurance?

  1. Quicker, getting temporary van insurance can be much faster than sorting out a
    full policy for van insurance.
  2. Pay for what you get, you don’t have to worry about overpaying for a full policy when buying temporary van insurance as you only pay for the time you’ll be using the van.
  3. Zero cancellation fees, you don’t have to worry and stress about cancelling the policy
    as temporary van insurance is purchased with an end in mind.
  4. More affordable, not having to pay for a full year or have a pesky cancellation fee
    means less payments down the line.
  5. Your own policy, signing up to your own policy means that in the unfortunate event of
    having to make a claim whilst using someone else’s van, this still leaves them with their
    no claims bonus intact. This is due to it being a separate policy to theirs so any actions
    made by you only affect you.

So, what vans do we cover with temporary van insurance?

So, Veygo as a whole does cheap temporary insurance and learner insurance, so when it comes to vans, it’s typically the vans with a shorter wheelbase, anything that isn’t super big and that drives similarly to a car, to give an example of what kinds of van we insure (with a few exceptions);

  1. Vauxhall Combo
  2. Citroen Berlingo
  3. Peugeot Partner
  4. Mercedes Citan
  5. Vauxhall Corsa
  6. Renault Kangoo
  7. Citroen Nemo
  8. Fiat Doblo
As you can see there is a trend with the kind of van that gets insured, all smaller and have that car look to them. If you’re unsure of which type of van you’re trying to insure and need a guide helping you to distinguish a long wheel base vs a short wheel base Mercedes offer a great article.

What isn’t covered with our temporary van insurance?

So as it is typically shorter wheelbase vans that are covered this doesn’t usually include larger vans with a longer wheelbase, these kinds of vans are usually associated with people who use their vans daily, typically tradesmen. When thinking of a van with a longer wheelbase think of vans similar to the Mercedes Sprinter, using this as a guide it will give you an idea of larger vans. For an idea of what else isn’t covered by our policy here are some things listed:
1. Wear and tear, in the generic sense.
2. Driving without a Licence.
3. Driving under the Influence, any damages or injuries caused whilst under the influence,
or reckless driving.
4. Intentional and reckless damage.
5. Merchandise delivery.
6. Hire and reward, this is when your car is used in money making i.e. renting out the car,
or using it like a taxi.
7. Dual insurance, we will not pay a claim if any loss, damage or liability covered under this
policy is also covered by any other insurance policy.
8. Modifications.
9. Racing.
10. Personal Belongings.
11. Unauthorised use.
12. Mis-fuelling.
13. Poor security
Tool cover – For personal tools/belongings we’ll cover you up to £150, however, if the tools are used in connection to a trade or a business then you won’t be covered unfortunately. 
To find out the full dos and don’ts that we actually cover in our temporary insurance please look at the following:
Product Information Document | Policy Booklet

As a growing company Veygo may not be able to provide insurance for your van, so head over to Admiral van insurance as it is very likely they’re able to provide you with what you’re looking for!

What is a car derived van or dual purpose vehicle?

‘car-derived van’ means a goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes.’

What does a car derived van look like?

Typically it will look similar to a car in size and model, but will have some more defining
features such as:
1. No rear seats, seatbelts or their mountings.
2. It will have a payload area with a floor panel in the back of the van.
3. No side windows in the back, or if it does have side windows they’ll usually be filled in (opaque and fixed, unable to see through.)

Can I get van insurance for 1 day? 

Yes, you are able to purchase short term van cover from as little as 1 hour! 

Van speed limits

Car derived vans are the only light commercial (goods) vehicles which are subject to the same speed limits as a car.
1. 50mph on single carriageways.
2. 60mph on dual carriageways.
3. 70mph on motorways.

What to do if you think your vehicle has been incorrectly registered?

If you think your vehicle is a car derived van and isn’t  registered as such then:
1. Check with the dealer, this is for new vehicles
2. For older vehicles check with the manufacturer
3. However, if you’re driving what you believe to be a car derived van but it’s registered as
a goods vehicle (not a car derived van) then you should stick to the lower speed limits
assigned to goods vehicles which are defined by exceeding 2 tones when fully loaded and has doesn’t fit criteria of a car derived van. Check the speed limits here

What about dual purpose vehicles?

A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either one:
1. Constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle.
2. Permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows – there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas.

Do I need van insurance to drive a work van?

Yes, no matter what you’re using your van for you’re going to need insurance to drive it on public spaces and roads. 

Who can use temporary van insurance ?

Anyone over the age of 17 up to the age of 75 with a full driving licence, although between 17 and 21 you need have held your full driving licence for at least 6months, if insuring your own car, this doesn’t apply if borrowing a car. 
Simon Jones

Worked for short-term car insurance provider Veygo for over 3 years. Been involved in building insurance products for learner drivers and people looking for temporary cover on cars, then telling the world about them through marketing campaigns. Also drive a bit myself, mainly my son around where ever he needs to go.

Back to top