Can I Supervise a Learner Driver?
Check if you are eligible to supervise a learner driver and understand your responsibilities as a supervisor.
If a friend or family member is learning to drive, you may want to help them out by supervising them to get some extra practice out of lessons. But can I supervise a learner driver?
Yes, you can supervise a learner driver as long as you:
- Are over 21 (some insurers require you to be over 25).
- Have held your full licence for over 3 years (from the UK, EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein).
- Are qualified to drive the type of vehicle that the learner driver is practicing in.
How old do you have to be to supervise a learner driver?
You need to be at least 21 years old to supervise a learner driver with Veygo. However, some insurance companies require you to be at least 25, so make sure you check with your insurer first.
How long do I need to have held my licence to supervise a learner driver?
You need to have held your full driving licence for 3 years, from the UK, EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. You must also be qualified to drive the type of vehicle the learner is practising in, e.g. you must hold a manual licence if they are practising in a manual transmission car.
Do I need to be insured to supervise a learner driver?
If you’re supervising a learner driver and intend to drive the car at anytime you must be properly insured. All cars that are driven on public roads in the UK must be fully insured, taxed and hold a valid MOT certificate.
Can I use my phone while supervising a learner driver?
It’s illegal for the person supervising a learner driver to use a mobile phone or device. Even though you aren’t behind the wheel, you’ll be giving the learner driver instructions. You need to be aware of potential hazards as well as the speed of the car. Using a mobile phone can draw attention away from the road and the learner.
Am I allowed to get paid by the learner driver for my time?
No, to get paid for supervising a learner driver you must be an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI). You’ll have to make do with a thank you and a box of chocolates!
What are my responsibilities when supervising a learner driver?
As the supervising driver, you’re considered in control of the vehicle, even though you are a passenger. Because of this, it is your responsibility to:
- Make sure the car is in a safe and legal condition – this will also help the learner get into the habit of performing regular checks
- Clearly display L plates (can use D plates in Wales) when the learner is driving
- Comply with road traffic laws as though you were driving e.g. you may not supervise while under the influence of drink or drugs
- Meet the minimum eyesight standards – can you read a number plate from 20 metres away?
- Make sure that the learner driver is properly insured and that you are also insured if you intend to drive the vehicle at any time.
Can learner drivers practice at night?
Yes, there aren’t any time restrictions on when learners can hit the roads, although some insurers may have curfews. It can be helpful for learners to practice driving in the dark before attempting it solo as a new driver.
Can learner drivers carry passengers?
Yes, learner drivers can carry passengers as long as they don’t exceed the maximum limit of the car. Be aware that passengers can be a distraction to even the most experienced driver!
Can I insure my child or friend to practice in my car?
Yes! You can add them to your policy as a named driver or you can buy learner driver insurance online which will cover them to practice in your car. The main features of Veygo learner driver insurance are:
- Cover is available from 2 hours to 90 days and is available to start instantly (or you can buy it to start in the future)
- The no claims bonus on your main policy won’t be affected if there’s a claim.
- No curfews
- Fully comprehensive cover
- Veygo could cover the learner driver up until they pass their test. As soon as they pass, they will need to have insurance for their full licence.
Get a quote for learner driver insurance today.